Nærbø beat Drammen in shootout drama
Following a three-goal defeat at Drammen HK in the first leg of their all-Norwegian semi-final, Nærbø won the return leg by the same 30:27 scoreline and advanced after winning a dramatic penalty shootout.
SEMI-FINAL, SECOND LEG
Nærbø IL (NOR) vs Drammen HK (NOR) 35:31 (19:15, 30:27, shootout — 5:4)
First leg: 27:30. Nærbø IL won 62:61 on aggregate
- a 4:0 run late in the first half saw Nærbø take a 17:13 lead, and they kept a four-goal advantage at the break
- Nærbø's goalkeeper Halvor Nærland (14 saves) boasted a nearly 47 per cent save rate during the game, and his heroics helped the hosts to pull clear at 23:17 midway through the second half
- Nærbø led 30:25 before conceding two goals in the last 30 seconds. However, they won 5:4 in a shootout
- Ole Naerland and Tord Aksnes Lode scored seven goals each for Nærbø, while Sindre Aho netted six times for Drammen. All totals include goals scored in the penalty shootout
- the final will be played on 21/22 and 28/29 May. The draw to determine which leg each team will host will take place on Tuesday 3 May in Vienna
Nærbø continue to make history
Nærbø, who had eliminated the ambitious Kolstad Handball in a Norwegian league quarter-final earlier this week, made their fans happy again by reaching the EHF European Cup Men final.
Playing in their first season in a European club competition, Nærbø have already done a great job – and now they are just one step away from claiming the EHF European Cup title.