Reistad propels Esbjerg back on winning course
Team Esbjerg stopped Rapid Bucuresti in their revenge for a 32:34 defeat in round 4 of the EHF Champions League Women. EHF EURO 2022 MVP Henny Reistad shone for her side, scoring 15 out of 17 attempts, helping her team to stay close with three top teams in a fight for a quarter-final spot. The strong Romanian side did not have their best defensive performance as they were leapfrogged by Esbjerg due to goal difference.
Team Esbjerg (DEN) vs CS Rapid București (ROU) 35:30 (18:13)
- Henny Reistad netted four times without a miss, giving her team early momentum and creating a four-goal lead
- Rapid Bucuresti found good solutions for Esbjerg's defence, but clear shots were stopped by Amalie Milling who was at 50% save efficiency as the clock hit the 23rd minute
- while Esbjerg's attack efficiency was in a range from 60% to 70%, Rapid were below their average with 55% throughout the match
- Esbjerg's biggest lead was by 11 goals; it was reduced as Diana Ciuca came between the posts and Rapid's top scorer Jennifer Gutiérrez scored two to cut the deficit to four
- Henny Reistad has been outstanding and unstoppable with 15 goals out of 17 attempts and four assists
Esbjerg keeping it interesting
The battle for the top two spots leading to the quarter-finals is at its peak as Metz Handball, Győri Audi ETO KC, CS Rapid Bucuresti and Team Esbjerg are all within three points. Winning over Rapid Bucuresti was an important task for Esbjerg if they want to keep up with those three teams leading the group. With only three rounds to go and three more exciting matches between them, everything counts.
However, Esbjerg should not worry while having the EHF EURO 2022 MVP in their squad. In the 'out of this world' performance, Henny Reistad showed what it means to play with ease and enjoy handball, ending the match with an unbelievable 15 goals. She is now two goals shy of taking over the competition's top-scorer list.
"It was a tough match and a good one between two very strong teams that have performed very well in the Champions League this season. We are extremely happy about the result, and there is at least still a chance to get higher than fourth place in the group.
We did not start the game well and not as planned. Team Esbjerg is a team that will take advantage of your mistakes and if you are not careful you can look up at the scoreboard and you are behind by 10 goals. We did not quit despite that and we fought till the end."